Tuesday 27 March 2012

Tickle My Fancy...

Ever since I got involved in the blog-following/blogging phenomenon I have been saving inspirational images from here and there. It started off serving as a visual shopping list, then moved into visual aids for home updates and now more than ever I am documenting the epic talent of all sorts of stylish stylist's. Most recently stylist's Sophie Barker for Fashion Gone Rogue and Eun Ji Jeong for Singles Korea magazine have taken my particular fancy.

In this shoot styled by Barker, the combination of androgynous layering and conservative collars (with just a hint of sportswear with those knee high, striped socks) is done to perfection. The whole shoot is edgy and totally fashionable but at no point do I feel like the clothes or the model are trying too hard. I genuinely dislike when one or the other ends up looking forced. It can be painful to view.

Truthfully, Barker has hit the nail on the head. I want to wear it all! I want to layer knits over brocade over gym socks. Well played Sophie Barker, well played. 






Images via. The Electric

As for Eun Ji Jeong, extreme eclecticism where tribal meets high fashion isn't usually my cup of herbal, caffine-free tea but, holy balls is this shoot is a winner!!! There's pumpkins, ombre hair and a knee-length cable knit over a red gown. It's a visual feast of colour, texture, layers and genres. I'm overwhelmed but not by the sheer number of references but by the near-perfect beauty of the shoot. 

This type of shoot is one which, I fear, would be seriously difficult for me to pull off. Not that I doubt my mad skills. It's just that this kind of styling is so hard to get right. I see a lot of layer laden editorials that force me to look away for fear of tearing up at the site of someone attempting something beyond their capabilities. 10 points for trying and more power to those stylists with gigantic balls! But for now, I will marvel in the risks taken by others until the day comes when I too have the balls to try this out...   







Image source unknown. Editorial featured in Singles Korea Magazine - January 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment