Saturday 5 March 2011

Sunday Afternoon Delight...

This afternoon I indulged in what I do best - procrastinating - by attempting something that I definitely don't do best - cooking and more specifically baking. I often find that a good place to start at something that you're lacking skills in is with the instruction of someone who knows what they're doing. Enter Donna Hay magazine issue 53. Somehow, with the wise words of a whizz in the kitchen I managed to pull off a number of taste bud enticing marshmallow honey puffs!! I am aware that my marshmallow spreading abilities leave a lot to be desired but all in all I think they are pretty damn cute... And just quietly, they taste like Heaven in a baked sandwich... 



Recipe: (for those who might also want to 'waste' some time...)
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
4 eggs
1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
1/3 cup almond meal
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
50g butter, melted
200g white marshmallows
2 tablespoons creamed honey

Method:
Prehate oven to 180 degrees celcius. Sift flour 3 times and set aside. Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and with an electric mixer beat for 8-10minutes or until pale, thick and three times its original size. Sift the flour over the egg mixture and fold in the almond meal, butter and vanilla. Spoon 2 teaspoons of the mixture at a time onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper (I just greased and floured a baking tray and that worked like a charm), leaving room to spread. Bake for 10minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
     Place the marshmallows and honey in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted and smooth. Spread half the rounds with the marshmallow and sandwich with the remaining rounds. CHOW DOWN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment