Saturday 25 September 2010

Do one to others...

I think I’m having a charitable epiphany…. I’m not in the least trying to toot my own horn but I have definitely caught the charity bug and I don’t hate it. Nor did I ever plan to do it. All of a sudden it just seems so easy. And I swear I’m not just doing it for the karma points either!

It started with my wanting to participate in 2011’s Shave For a Cure fundraiser. I have always wondered what it would feel like and what I would look like if I shaved my head. So I’m doing it. And if I’m going to do it at all I may as well be doing it for a good cause. I have to admit that initially the notion of doing it for charity was a way to prevent me from backing out. Now I want to raise $10,000! I do still (and often) worry about the affect that cutting off all my hair will have on my self esteem (not to mention the boy situation) but then I think about how much worse the kids with Leukaemia and the millions of other people with varying types of cancer feel when they’re loosing their hair. Because for them loosing their hair is the least of their worries. So I figure that if I can gain some minute semblance of empathy for cancer battlers and survivors and all it takes to appreciate their struggle is to cut off a bit of hair, then so be it!

Next weekend (October 3rd) I am participating in the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s CIBC Run for a Cure fun run.  It never occurred to me that this isn’t my country because perhaps one day it might be and I might need some time rich, eager exchange student to help me out.  I’m looking forward to the exercise though and have spent a lot of time recently praying for a clear day! The rain here is about as fun as soggy toast.

What I have been trying to get to in this mammoth post is the Zombie Walk: The Runway. It’s a charity fashion event designed to raise money for the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada and it’s being organized by a couple of Ryerson students – who, by the way I am totally in awe of! It’s extraordinary to see the amount of work that goes into the organization of an event such as this! I am soooo keen to get my hands as dirty as possible in all the pre-show bits and pieces!!! I have no doubt that this show is going to be a real rip-snorter and I am only too honoured to be a part of it as both a contributor to a worthy charity and as a fashion student.


I am now genuinely thinking - as a result of my serious like of organization in general as well as this event and my Fashion Promotion class – that perhaps fashion show production might be something that I could do after uni…. (insert thinking face here…) 

www.zombiewalktherunway.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment